CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Maxi Dress

I thought Mimi’s maxi dress was so cute! So I was especially excited when she posted a tutorial video of how to make one. This was my first project I made without a pattern, but it was surprisingly easy! Mimi’s directions were very easy to follow and pretty mistake-proof as well. My boyfriend found it pretty entertaining that I was pausing the video and going back and forth between my machine and the computer LOL! I made wider straps since most of my bras have wider straps for better support. Also, instead of using braided elastic, I used elastic thread which was soooo much easier for me. I could not get the braided elastic to work with me to save my life! I was so frustrated because I put holes in the fabric from doing the braided elastic over and over again. The first dress which was my “muslin”, fits perfect in the bust but was a little too big in the back and waist. After making a few adjustments, I made the pink one but forgot about the seam allowances! Which brings to advice #1: If you are tired, stop sewing or you can make a mistake. LOL! I got the fabric from G Street Fabrics at the $2.97/yd clearance table a few months ago. They had so many colors! By the way, they’re moving to a bigger location in Rockville. I can’t wait to wear my maxi dress! Thanks Mimi!



7 comments:

Adrienne said...

Cute!! Can't wait to see them on you!

Teka said...

Thanks Adrienne!

Unknown said...

They came out so great, thanks for letting me know :)

Susan said...

I saw Mimi's video. I really am planning on making a maxi dress real soon too.

Jada said...

Very cute!

Unknown said...

I like your cute maxi dress!! I just love it so much!!

~ Kimberlee B ~ said...

Adorable! I like elastic thread too. It is the perfect thing for shirring etc... Great job!