CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Yay!! My first pair of pants!

DISCLAIMER: Please forgive me for my horrible pics. :-)








I've been in a sewing rut since I'm working more hours at my job. Since my job is the cause of my stress at times, I decided to make items for work. I picked up some weight recently and only a few pair of pants still fit, so I've made two pencil skirts and pants to wear to the office since my last entry. I chose a basic pattern from Vogue that I felt I could accomplish pretty quickly. G Street Fabrics is the closest store to me and also my favorite. They're pretty pricey and rarely have sales, but they have a great selection. The first area I go to is the clearance table where you can get everything for $2.97/yd!! It ranges from cottons, wools, silks, etc. Considering their fabrics range from $17 all the way up to $99/yd, it's a steal. The instructions were very easy to follow and came out decent for my first pair. Since I don't have any experience with alterations, I experimented with the crotch of the pant to eliminate some of the extra space that's usually in the front of pants. I scaled down 2 sizes on the curve and it worked great for front of the pants. The back was a different story as it caused the pants to "scoop" down a little by a inch or so.





I've probably committed a sewing sin, but I did not use muslin. The first pair I made were a little too snug around the thigh area but "gave" a little throughout the day.






I gave an additional inch seam allowance and the second pair fit alot better. If you guys have any tips or suggestions on books to alter pants I would surely appreciate it.




4 comments:

Adrienne said...

Congrats on your first pants!

Teka said...

Thanks, Adrienne!

TeeThymeDiva said...

Co-sign w/ Adrienne, great job! I am tackling my first pair o fpants now. I don't know if I am ready to sew a Vogue pattern yet!

Teka said...

Teethymediva-

Actually, you might like this pattern. It was only 4 pieces and very easy. Looking forward to seeing your pants when you finish!!